Wednesday 12 March 2008

The voyage commences

Wooden boats are money pits, they leak and seem to decompose if you turn your attention away for more than a few moments. When I sold my 1957 Folkboat a couple of years ago, it was with mixed emotion. However, I can recall that certainly one of those emotions was relief. I also recall saying to myself and for that matter, others, that my next boat would be a plastic tub, characterless but dry and relatively worry free. What possessed then to give in to temptation and not only buy another wooden boat but a 72 year old one, a bigger one and one which is seriously in need of time, money and skills that I don't yet possess?


Esliina II has been ashore for at least 3 years. She was surveyed in 2006 and many serious problems were revealed. It is very likely that she will need new Keel bolts, without a doubt a new Keelson.


Unlike her sisters who sail these waters, she was not a 'windfall' yacht, that is one of those yachts purloined by the services as part of the reparation arrangements at the end of World War II. Esliina was a willing visitor to UK shores. From what I can gather she has a sad recent past. Her owners sailed from the Baltic and during the course of their travels, the husband became ill and alas died. Esliina was put ashore and the 'For Sale' sign went up. It has taken a few years for Esliina to find someone willing to take the risk.


On February 26th 2008 title passed to me. Since which time I have been frantically trying to find a new home for her rebuild. She is in Newhaven and I am in Gloucester. The first major expense being her haulage and the cranage. I have also been busying myself purchasing shipwrights tools, sand paper and even perhaps prematurely some seasoned mahogany. Thank heavens for EBay.


The big day now approaches. March 17th she makes the 150 mile journey to her new, temporary home. Provided of course that the current spell of gales subsides in time. The 5 day forecast looks promising. Everything's booked, including the day off of work (no thanks to some).


On Sunday her mast must come down. To save £200 I have decided to un-step her myself. The block and tackle is ready.... what can go wrong.

No comments: